Health & Nutrition
Recipes for the Season
Come back each season to find new and delicious recipes.
Leek & Onion Soup
- 5 TBSP of Butter
- 1 pound (16 oz) of Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 small Onion
- 1 pound (16 oz) of Leeks (white parts) sliced
- 24-32 oz of Chicken Stock
- 5-6 oz of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 oz of Milk
Finely chopped Chives
- Melt 3.5 TBSP butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams, add 1 pound (16 oz) of potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes, 1 small onion, cut the same as the potatoes, and 1 pound (16 oz) white parts of leeks, sliced and toss them in the butter until they are well coated.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper and toss again. Then cover the pan with its lid.
- Cook over a gentle heat for 10 mins, or until the vegetables are soft but not colored.
- Uncover the pan. Pour in 24-32 oz of the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked – about 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the soup will lose its fresh flavor.
- Purée in a blender until silky smooth, in batches if necessary, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Return the soup to a clean pan and stir in 4oz of whipping cream and 4 oz milk.
- Reheat the soup to a gentle simmer (add some extra stock at this point if the soup is too thick for your liking), then pour into warmed bowls.
- Drizzle the remaining cream over each serving, top with chives and black pepper.
- 3 TBSP Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 fully cooked Chorizo Sausages (about 8 oz), sliced ½ inch thick
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Black Pepper
- 4 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 small bunch Swiss Chard, stems removed, leaves chopped (equaling about 6 cups)
- Chopped fresh Parsley, for topping (optional)
- Toasted Bread, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned around the edges, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until well coated, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and paprika. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and cook 12 minutes. Add the chard; cover and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are tender, and the chard is wilted, 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread.